Al-Jazeera English journalist Mohammed Fahmy, who remains in Egypt on bail while awaiting trial on terror charges, says he has filed a lawsuit in Canada against the television network.
He was jailed in December 2013 with two Al-Jazeera English colleagues, including Australian journalist Peter Greste, who was released and deported from Egypt in February.
At a press conference Fahmy, who at the time of his arrest had been acting bureau chief in Egypt for just three months, accused the Qatari-funded network of endangering him and his colleagues.
‘Now, I will sue them at any cost, and I will win,’ said Fahmy, who has dual Egyptian-Canadian nationality.
‘They don’t seem to understand that they cannot continue to challenge the sovereignty of governments, put the story ahead of the safety of their employees, and assume that they will continue to get away with it.’
His lawyer Joanna Gialason told reporters that the lawsuit filed at the British Columbia Supreme Court on May 5 seeks $US100 million ($A126.21 million) in punitive and remedial damages and accuses Al-Jazeera of negligence, negligent misrepresentation and breach of contract.
A statement issued by Al-Jazeera said: ‘It’s sad to see Fahmy and his lawyer repeating criticisms of Al-Jazeera made by the Egyptian authorities. It’s what his captors want to hear at this stage of the retrial.’
Egypt and Qatar have had tense relations since 2013, when the Egyptian military ousted Morsi amid massive protests.
Doha is a strong backer of Morsi’s Muslim Brotherhood and other Islamist groups in the region.
Cairo accused Al-Jazeera of being a mouthpiece for Morsi’s supporters, charges denied by the broadcaster.
Fahmy is being tried along with Egyptian producer Baher Mohammed on charges of being part of a terrorist group and airing falsified footage intended to damage national security.
Human rights groups have criticised their trial. Fahmy maintains that his team was doing balanced and independent reporting.
Fahmy and Mohammed were released on bail in February.
Prosecutors are expected to begin their closing arguments in the retrial on June 1.