Exclusive to The Middle East Online
Edited by Nelly Tawil
Thursday came with an announcement from Lebanon’s army claiming that they had thwarted planned terrorist attacks by Islamic State on a tourist site and a crowded area, days after suicide bombers killed five people in a Christian village.
The arrests were carried out on Thursday, where five people involved in the two foiled attacks, including the mastermind, were apprehended according to an army statement.
“Those arrested confessed to having carried out terrorist acts against the army previously. Investigators are continuing,” the army said, however gave no further details.
Recent weeks have passed on heightened alert for Lebanese security services in the wake of Islamic State urging its followers to launch attacks on “non-believers” during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, which began in early June.
The government warned this week of a heightened terrorist threat after multiple suicide bomb attacks in north-eastern Lebanon on Monday. The attack left five people dead and at least 15 more injured officials and medics say.
Villagers became aware of suspicious activity around 4am local time, it was only a short time after that, that the first bomb detonated. The three other attackers soon followed, igniting their suicide vests one after the other as people gathered in the road nearby, Lebanons official National News Agency reported.
Interior Minister Nohad Machnouk said on Tuesday most of Monday’s attackers came from Syria.
Prime Minister Tammam Salam said he was cautious of “a new wave of terrorist operations”.