Sisters believed to be foreign nationals lay dead in Canterbury unit for over a month

Two sisters who moved to Australia together lay dead and decomposing inside their Sydney unit for more than a month-and-a-half, because it was not unusual for them to have little contact with family.
NSW Police have confirmed the bodies of the 23-year-old and 24-year-old sisters were found in separate bedrooms of their apartment on Canterbury Rd in Canterbury, in the city’s southwest, early on Tuesday morning.
It was officers from the Sheriffs Department who made the grim discovery after being called in by the building manager to do a welfare check on the pair as they had not only failed to pay rent for several months.
An overflowing mailbox and bundle of parcels at their door also had the building manager concerned.
It is understood there was no sign of forced entry into the apartment while because of the condition of their bodies and the length of time they are believed to have been inside the unit, a cause of their deaths is yet to be confirmed.
Investigators are hoping an autopsy, set to be carried out on Thursday, may provide some answers.
Burwood Police Area Detective Inspector Claudia Allcroft said police are treating the deaths as suspicious, but admitted officers were “still in the infancy of the investigation”.
“At this stage it appears to be suspicious,” said Inspector Allcroft on Wednesday morning.
Inspector Allcroft also confirmed there is no sign of injury “at this stage”.
Police believe the women are foreign internationals, but said “we don’t have all the answers at this stage”.
“It‘s a very tragic scene when we go to any deceased persons let alone two sisters who are deceased and unfortunately at this stage, we don’t know why,” Insp Allcroft said.
Police were called to the unit on Canterbury Rd in Canterbury about 9.30am on Tuesday to reports of concern for the welfare of the sisters.
Residents of the Canterbury apartment building were shocked to hear the news of the bodies discovered on Tuesday.
Occupants of Block B left for work on Wednesday morning, not knowing what had evolved the day prior.
“No way, this is a safe place,” said one resident on his way to the train station after being stopped and told of the news.
“Oh my god, that sounds really f***ing bad,” said another resident, gasping with her hand over her mouth after being informed of the bodies discovered.
A third occupant, Tamy, said the first she had heard of the bodies was on the television the night before, despite working from home during the day.“I saw the police cars at night,” she said.
“It’s very quiet here so it was pretty unusual to find out something like this had happened.”
Kim, a mother of two and occupant of a unit on level four, said she was left “shaking” after being told about the two women.
“It’s very scary stuff. I have two girls, I don’t want them to know much about it,” she said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *